Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Prayer for Wednesday, February 2, 2011

“The Beloved”

The voice of the Father said that Jesus was the Father’s beloved Son before Jesus had done anything, so far as we know from the record at least, to earn the Father’s blessing of love.

That is precisely the point: the Father’s blessing of love is not and cannot be earned; the Father loved Jesus just because Jesus was Jesus and the Father loves me just because I am me and the Father loves you just because you are you. The Father loves us because we are the Father’s children.

Help us to know, Father, that you love us; help us to rest, Father, in your love for us.

Help us to hear you say, Father, that you are well pleased with us.

Then help us, Father, to live our lives in light of your love, your blessing, and your pleasure.

Amen.

“And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, the beloved, with whom I am well pleased’” (Matthew 3:17).

No comments:

Post a Comment