Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Prayer for Tuesday, March 15, 2011

“Let Your Word Be ‘Yes, Yes’ or ‘No, No’”

I don’t remember who said it but I remember what he said. I had just concluded a statement with the words “really, I mean it” and my friend asked me, “So, if you don’t say you really mean what you said does that mean you didn’t really mean it?”

I had never thought before about how important it is that my word stand on its own without need of other words to prop it up; it boils down to the simple truth that people need to be able to believe what I say because I say it and because my character, which is supposed to be conforming more and more to the image of Christ, reveals itself in my integrity.

God, help us to grow in our character to the point that our words are honest and sound because wholeness and integrity characterize our lives.

May the strength of our character be so obvious to everyone around us that the honesty of our words can be assumed by all. May the words that come out of our mouths match up so well with the actions that come out of our lives that our integrity can be counted on by all.

Amen.

“Let your word be ‘Yes, Yes,’ or ‘No, No’; anything more than this comes from the evil one.”(Matthew 5:37).

No comments:

Post a Comment