Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Prayer for Thursday, May 10, 2012

Quarks

When I was a child, I thought as a child and I spoke as a child and I was constantly being filled with information about the way the world is. As a child, I figured that the way I understood the world to be would be the way I would always understand the world to be.

So I was taught that everything that existed was made up of molecules that were in turn made up of atoms that were in turn made up of protons and neutrons with some electrons spinning around in there, too.

Now that I have become an adult, I have come to find out that the protons and neutrons are made up of quarks, which I am assured that, along with leptons, comprise the basic building blocks of matter.

That’s the way we know the world to be. For now.

O God, we praise you for the magnificence of your creation; we praise you for its intricacies and for its mysteries.

O God, we thank you for the understanding of your creation that we possess.

And God, we ask you to help us, even as we make use of our knowledge of the intricacies of the universe, never to stop being humbled by its many, many remaining mysteries.

And God, we ask you to help us to remember that we could say the same things about all the people that we know; help us to remember that there are quarks behind those quirks…

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment