Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Prayer for Thursday, March 12, 2015

Twentieth Day of Lent

O God,

Forgive us for the inappropriate and unhealthy ways that we sometimes deal with our sins.

Forgive us for comparing our lives to other people’s lives. Sometimes we tell ourselves, “Well, at least I’m not as bad as she is” or “Well, at least my sins are not as bad as his are.” In adopting such a perspective we fall prey to pride and to rationalization. Help us to move away from such an approach to our sins.

Forgive us for comparing our lives to an unattainable standard. Sometimes we tell ourselves, “I can never be as good as God expects me to be” or “I can never be truly Christ-like.” In adopting such a perspective we fall prey to excuse-making and to discouragement. Help us to move away from such an approach to our sins.

Forgive us for staking our lives on our reputation. Sometimes we tell ourselves, “I am well thought of and respected and so I am good” or “When people look at me they are impressed and therefore I am impressive.” In adopting such an attitude we fall prey to hypocrisy and to posturing. Help us to move away from such an approach to our sins.

Help us to be honest with ourselves and with you about our sins.
Help us to confess and to turn away from our sins.
Help us to ask you to make us into the best version of ourselves that we can be.
Help us to examine and to deal with the state of our heart and spirit.
Help us to grow into greater and greater integrity.
Help us to become more and more aware of and grateful for your grace.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment