Saturday, August 22, 2015

A Prayer for Saturday, August 22, 2015

Plus Plus

O God,

Thank you for baseball.

Thank you for baseball scouts who find the talented players that we eventually get to watch in the major leagues. Thank you for the excellent terminology the scouts use to describe players.

For example, if a pitcher has a fastball that’s better than the average major league fastball, they say he has a “plus fastball.” If he has one that’s as good as the best in baseball, then he has a “plus plus fastball.”

Lord, I want to be a “plus plus” Christian. I want to be a “plus plus” follower of Jesus.

But like James and John when they asked to sit right beside you in your kingdom, I probably don’t know what I’m asking.

Am I really willing to drink the cup you drank? Am I really willing to put obeying you ahead of everything else? Am I really willing to live in ways that run completely counter to the ways of the world? Am I really willing to give myself away? Am I really willing to subsume self-interest to concern and compassion for others? Am I really willing to serve rather than be served?

Lord, I want to be a “plus plus” Christian.

Help me to count the cost—and then to pay it.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment